Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snakes and sweaters


I would like to dedicate this post to Yig. Yig is a snake god from the Lovecraftian mythos. Although he is scary in the stories, he isn't in my meditations. Yig is happy when his followers exercise and eat food that is healthy for them. Yig is especially fond of dancers, and likes music with a strong beat. Those who follow Yig aspire to the lean form and grace of a snake. All snakes are his children and he cares for them.
Snakes appear as part of the caduceus, the symbol of Aesclepius, the Greek god of Healing. Also, snakes can be "milked" for their venom, which can then be studied and turned into medicine.
I have been meditating on Yig since about September of last year. It makes me feel encouraged to make better choices and more inspired in my dancing. When a make a nice crock pot meal, I feel good about the nutrition it gives me, and I can also imagine Yig using it as a heat rock (after all, he IS a snake!), which is kind of silly.
So, enjoy a night of dancing, and eat a few green things and lean meats.

On another note, I recently went to the Armani store in the mall, and saw a very pretty $400 sweater. The stitches are very simple, so I will be making a version of the sweater with some yarn I have already. One difference is that while the store sweater is white and silver, the one I plan to make will be off-white and gold. I think it will work better with my coloring, and I would have to buy extra yarn to make an exact copy. I intend to return to the store soon to study the construction of the collar. Pics when it's done! 

No comments:

Post a Comment