Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Comic Books Are Good for You

My dad recently pointed out to me that I haven't posted in months. I realized that he was right, but I didn't know what to write about. Thinking about it now, there's actually quite a bit going on. First of all, I got the first real job I've ever had in my life. Before, I've only ever worked through whatever academic institution I was attending at the time, but this is the first job I've ever had on my own, which makes it special. Also, I work in a comic book store, which makes it even more special. We have comics and games an toys. My store is full of happiness and joy. When things are slow, I read comics. At this point, I believe I have read every Jonah Hex comic in existence. Right now, I am reading Watchmen. I have also purchased some comics on behalf of my dad, which is fun. One thing that happened that was strange is that the company that sends us our comics screwed up this week and sent half of our comics to Maryland, so we won't have our Batman Annuals until tomorrow. Secondly, my 10-year high school reunion was a few weeks ago. I was really happy to see people that I haven't seen in a decade, and to see what everyone is doing. Most of them are lawyers or in finance or some such business thing. One of my friends is studying to be a rabbi, which is cool. Another is programming iPhones. I was told that I was the coolest person there because I had a strange job, making minimum wage, but happy and proud, while most other people only thought of the money they made and the prestige of their job. I felt happy about that. As a senior, I was voted "Most Likely to Live in a Van Down by the River." I was very proud of this distinction, and I still am. I think I still have the same outlook of being happy with myself that earned it. I forget who said it first, but "being content doesn't mean having what you want; it means wanting what you have." This past weekend was Memorial Day weekend, and although I had to work on Saturday and Sunday, I still had time to visit the pool at my apartment complex, which had just opened. The large Cthulhu Dice game is compatible with pool play as the die floats and the sanity counters are rubber bracelets, so I forsee a fun summer with that. Also, the store carries large, inflatable 20-sided dice, about the size of beach balls. I am seriously considering getting one and really nerding up the pool. This coming weekend is the Wizard Comic Con. Stan Lee and William Shatner will be there, and I get in for free because I count as a professional now. I can't wait to see Stan Lee, especially. I don't think Adam West will be there again this year, but he was there the last two years. He's so cool. My dad said he might come up to go with me, and I hope he does. He loves comics as much as I do. Also, I need to give him the comics I got for him at the store, and he needs to bring me the air conditioner that is currently being stored in his attic. The only confounding factor is whether he can get the lawn mowed in time.

1 comment: