Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year and Other Holidays! - also pictures from the 14th century!

My Yule and New Year were fun. My boyfriend had to work most of the time, so that put a crunch on things. I was at my parents' house on the night of the Solstice, so I couldn't really do anything special for it, so I made a few toasts to the Goddess and the Sun God in a little corner by myself. Fortunately, the following day, my boyfriend had to go to work, so we drove all the way back to our apartment that morning, and I still had time to go to my yoga class. After my yoga class, the teacher said that everyone who wanted to stay for a Solstice ritual was welcome to do so! I was so happy! Last year, I just went along with all the Christmas stuff, which is very similar, and I reasoned that it was good enough because I was under a huge time crunch and Christmas is so similar to Yule, but I still felt that I had not properly honored my own Gods and I believe that it put a huge jinx on the whole season. So, I'm very happy that I was provided the opportunity to have a real Solstice ritual, even if it was the day after!
Often, I feel like I'm constrained and can't really do the ritual I want to do, sometimes because likeminded people aren't around, or I have a ton of work to do, or just because I lose track of time, but I feel it is important to mark the seasons and work with the moon. The Gods have given me a lot in this life, and I think it's only proper to honor them, and that worship should take the form that speaks most to me. I'm grateful that I'm able to do that.

For New Year's, my parents' friends had some extra tickets to the celebration at the Hotel Hershey, so that's where they were for New Year's. If you have the ability to go to the Hotel Hershey for anything, I would highly suggest doing so. It used to be $15 to get your eyebrows waxes at the spa, and then you got free run of the spa, fitness center, and pool for the rest of the day. My mom and I would do that about once a month.
My boyfriend and I didn't have tickets, so we went out to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's, which was really fun. We almost never go out because of money and he works late. I had steak and lobster and he had the shellfish trio. It was delicious! Later on, we had planned to go to see the bologna drop (New York drops a ball, Lebanon, PA has a 100lb bologna. Not the yucky pink kind, though- REAL Lebanon bologna. Pick some up at a store in PA. It is sweet and spicy and delicious.), but we were sleepy and didn't want to be outside in the cold. Instead, we watched the local news channel which showed the dropping of the strawberry (Harrisburg), red rose (Lancaster), white rose (York), and hershey kiss (Hershey). I think they should also have covered the bologna, pickle, goat, and giant pretzel from the smaller towns, as those are often more fun. It's cool to see a bunch of people in a farmer's market parking lot partying around a giant lunch meat. Anyway, Louie, a black lab, and Commander Bunn, a mini-lop, joined up in the celebration. at midnight, my boyfriend popped the champagne cork and Louie got scared and ran out of the room. He refused to return until we got out the doggie bacon. The bunny was not impressed.
All in all, a fun night. Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays, whatever you may celebrate.
Finally, I have pictures of my Medieval outfits! The outfit includes a linen undergarment (can't see it in this picture), a kirtle, sideless surcote, hood, cloth stockings, and cloak. These ones are in fun Yule colors! They are also made out of flannel (except the undergarment).
Petting Louie

Gathering wood

Carrying wood

No comments:

Post a Comment